2/3/10

Rompering Around




I was asked a perplexing question this morning regarding a picture of a khaki romper that I included on my post from yesterday, which can be found here.  My very stylish cousin emailed me to find out where I purchased this very trendy item of clothing.  As I began typing out my response to her question and the words Forever 21 appeared on the page as part of my reply, I stopped in my typing tracks to think about how this must sound coming from someone who has reached, shall we say the decade with a 4 in it.  I then asked myself a question.  It went something like this: "Self, can a woman who can sing the lyrics verbatim to "Sunglasses At Night" or "She Blinded Me With Science", considers "Cheers", "Murder She Wrote", and "The Cosby Show" to be on her top ten list of all time favorite TV shows, and has to stop herself on a daily basis from using the terminology "to the max", "party hearty", "word", and "gag me with a spoon" wear a romper out in public.  As I contemplated this question, and even tried on the romper that I purchased with various jackets, sweaters, shoes, and accessories; I decided that, yes, I think it is possible to make this clothing option age appropriate.  So if you find yourself wanting to try out this trend and your reading this blog with a little Huey Lewis and the News playing in the background,  Here is a list of Do's and Don'ts for rompering around:

  
Do meet me for cocktails.


Don't meet me for recess.


Do look like you are shopping for diapers.


Don't look like your wearing one.


Do look classy.


Don't look like your headed to class (at your local daycare!)


Do meet me in the boardroom.


Don't meet me in the playroom.

Do try something vintage.


Don't mistake your Great, Great Grandmother's 
old fashioned swimsuit for vintage.

If you can think of any other Do's and Don'ts that should be followed in your 20's, 30's, 40's, and even 50's, please add a comment!  I would love to hear from you! 
Angelia

6 comments:

  1. Well first of all, that last romper is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen! And I think a big thing with buying a romper is the fit. It has to be just tight enough to not look like you are wearing a diaper but loose enough to not look tarty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you find that black romper? it's totally cute! and i don't even really like rompers! please let me know (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post.....I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alycia, Thanks for your comment! The black romper is from Anthropologie. It was from Spring 2009. Not sure it is still available, but I have seen similiar ones at Topshop, Forever 21, and Papaya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach with the stylish cousin to whom you gave a shout out yesterday, and we had a fun lunchtime conversation about rompers! I don't think there are any fashion rules related to age, but everyone should follow ones related to body type!! I haven't forsaken rompers because I am on the downslide to 40, I have forsaken them because I am just a wee bit too short and have "athletic" (okay, chunky and stocky)thighs for them. But the good thing is that at least I know this about myself and won't try to prance about the town in something that is less-than flattering. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Jane! Thanks for your complement to the blog! It really does mean a lot to get feedback, positive or negative! I am interested in hearing all points of view. There is always something to learn and grow from! You also have a great writing style!!! You might consider your own blog! Would love to meet you and yes, my cousin, who is really more like a sister, best friend, loyal reader, or girl I would choose to hang out with over any other deserves many shoutouts for her own personal style, sweet personality, and unique creativity! I am sure she will be referenced often! Hope to hear from you in the comment section often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails