2/2/10

Pink Dahlia



Every now and again, my inner Martha Stewart comes out and I find myself with needle and thread in hand, sewing like a mad woman.  I most enjoy sewing by hand as I have yet to master the sewing machine.  My favorite things to sew are fabric flowers.  I am hopelessly addicted to creating different types of flowers and then embellishing everything in my closet with them.  A few of my posts, (which can be found here and here ) have pictures of a hot pink dahlia that I made.  I was recently asked how I made it, so I thought I would post a "How To" step by step picture guide so that your inner Martha can be released!  I discovered this technique to making this particular fabric flower during one of my internet surfing sessions on the subject.  Kara Janx, a very talented South-African designer and finalist on Project Runway's season 2, gave a tutorial on making a fabric dahlia. (Her web site and beautiful clothing collection can be found here-I am in love with her Spring 2010 line!).  I have been making these flowers ever since and put them on everything from belts to purses, dresses, and tees.  All you need is about 20 minutes, a few simple supplies, and a love of fashion!  This post does come with a warning-Reader Beware-once you learn this easy technique, you will not be able to stop making these pretty little dahlia's!!!  Happy Sewing!  Angelia

You will need fabric scraps of your choice,
paper, scissors, needle and thread, and a marker.

Draw out your template onto paper or craft foam. 
Do not worry about being so precise, flowers are perfectly imperfect in nature.

Cut a strip of fabric the length of your choice.  I like about 24 inches. 
 Be sure the width of your fabric strip is about the same width
as your template.  Fold your fabric strip accordian style,
making sure you keep the folds the same width as your template. 

This is what your strip should look like after you have finished folding it.

Next, cut out along the outline of your template. 
Be sure not to cut accordian edges.

After you are finished cutting along your template,
 unfold your strip and this is what it should look like.

Now thread your needle and run a straight stitch along the
bottom edge of the strip all the way to the end. 
You can stop every 4 or 5 stitches and pull your thread tight.  You will
begin to see the petals bunch up into a pretty pile.

This is what your flower should look like when you have completed the stitching.

Now just tie and knot off the ends of your thread.

Now sit back and admire your handywork.

I attached one to a khaki romper for a pretty pop of color.


So pretty against my turquoise straw tote.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how creative!! Your blog is so cute!

    http://lindsaylovesitall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails