3/25/10

Cliches

You know how sometimes you just need some motivational words, an inspirational quote, or a little pep talk to lift your spirits?  I went searching today for some words of wisdom, peppy little lift me ups, and cheery phrases.  I kept coming across the same old tired cliches that we hear so often which left me with nothing better to do than to think about what the words of these overused phrases were actually saying. 

Take this oldie but goody for example:
WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER DOOR OPENS
now that got me thinking-I will use the analogy of one losing their job.  Well that would definitely be indicative of a door shutting (like the front door to the office building you have worked in for the better part of your working career) So what door does this one now cause to open?  Oh yea, that would be the bill collectors door knocking you flat as it swung open!  Now where is the inspiration in that?  Maybe this one should be re-phrased to "When one door closes, another one opens up and swallows you whole!  At least this one would come with honesty.


Here is another tried and true one:
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON
well of course it does!  The sad part of this supposed inspirational quote is that we usually never discover what that reason is!  Like when I could not find my keys (which unfortunately I had left in the refrigerator -that is another whole blog post in itself) consequently causing me to be late to an appointment.  Still have not figured out this reason, but it is a toss up between my body needed an increase of stress or the late fee I had to pay to my dentist office helped Dr. Greenberg put a new brick wall around his office.

And I love this one:
WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
now I get the analogy here, the lemons represent the awful terrible thing being thrown at you and the lemonade represents the positive, your glass is always half full that you make out of it.  But...............WHAT IF YOU HATE LEMONADE????????


Then there are these 2 great ones:
LOVE YOURSELF FIRST AND EVERYTHING FALLS INTO LINE
I have been in love with myself for years and the only thing falling is my underarm skin, eyelids, and derriere.


GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT
if I have to wait much longer I may get the gold encrusted cane, the mobility scooter with all of the bells and whistles, and the new and improved clapper.

Well, I did not find the inspiration I was looking for, but I had a few chuckles along the way.  Then with one check of my email I recieved this message from a dear friend:

"While we were waiting for his bus to be called, (Said Student) told me his mother was having her baby tomorrow. I probably shouldn't have said this, but I said, "Oh, is she having a C-section?"

He looked at me in a puzzled way, so I said "That's when they do surgery to take the baby out."
(Said Student) quickly nodded his head and said, "Yes, she cain't get her legs open that wide." I almost had a stroke from trying not to laugh. I've been giggling all afternoon.

I instantly felt better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you have any words of inspiration that would not be considerd cliche, please share!!!!!  What can I say:  Sometimes laughter is the best medicine!  So cliche-I can't believe I just said that-but so true!!!!  Angelia





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails