9/4/10

A Map of the Heart

It has been a long and exhausting week at work and I have missed enjoying many of my favorite past times this week.  An activity that my class started Friday reminded me of why I love teaching and spending those long hours at work on my students. 

To help them have a list of ready to go topics to write about and to keep me from hearing, "I don't know what to write about."  I had them create heart maps.  A heart map, an idea from Ralph Fletcher's, How To Write Your Life Story, is a visual representation of a student's heart, displaying topics that "live" there; these topics are ones the student shows passion and interest towards when writing about them.  The heart maps go on the inside cover of the student's writing journals.  All throughout the school year, the students re-visit their heart maps to find a topic to write about when they are suffering from writers block.

Going through these student samples not only reminded me of my love for teaching, but about all of the other things that are important to me!  My heart map would be filled with time spent with my son reading to him or watching him play soccer, spending time with all of the special people in my family,  trips that we have taken and trips that lay ahead, hanging out on weekends doing nothing or beach days covered in sand and smelling of suntan lotion, favorite foods-which would have to include chocolate, and hopes and dreams to wish for.

So with a reminder to cherish what is important to you and to enjoy every second of every day, my weekend will be filled with love, laughter, and fun with the people I adore!  What would be on your heart map?  Happy Weekend!








1 comment:

  1. What a great teacher you are! This is an awesome idea. I just might make myself a heart map today. Kat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails